In the MPSSAA Bylaws, under the requirements for “MPSSAA Coaching Eligibility”, provisions are made for those instances where no acceptable and qualified coaches are available from the teachers or certifiable professional educators employed by the local board of education, for temporary “Emergency” Coaches to be employed by following the prescribed procedures.
All Coaches that do not hold a teaching certificate must become Credentialed Coaches. To accomplish this, all coaches that do not hold a teaching certificate must:
- NOT have been convicted of, pleaded guilty or nolo contendere with respect to, or received probation before judgment with respect to, a crime against children or a crime of violence.
- complete the One-Credit Course in the Prevention and Care of Athletic Injuries. This course includes but is not limited to: Bloodborne Pathogens, CPR/AED, First Aid, and Sport-Specific Rules.
- Complete three free online courses: Concussion, Protecting Students from Abuse, and Heat Acclimatization through NFHSLearn.
- possess an MPSSAA/MSDE Coach Certification, which means completion of the NFHS Level 1 Coaching Certification or MSDE Approved In-Service Coaching Education Program. The NFHS Level I Coaching Certification is obtained by receiving credit for completing three online courses at www.nfhslearn.com.
- NFHS Fundamentals of Coaching
- NFHS First Aid for Coaching (or a school system‐approved Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries course completed within the past 3 years. NOTE: Taking the NFHS First Aid course does NOT replace the State requirement for a one‐ credit course in the Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries.)
- Fundamentals of Coaching Sport‐specific course (In the event that a course for coaching your particular sport is not yet available, the Teaching Sports Skills course may be substituted.)
If you have questions, please contact the Athletics Department or your Athletic Director.
CCPS Athletics Department
Since July 1, 2010, an Emergency Coach is required to possess an MPSSAA/MSDE coach certification prior to the start of his or her fourth year as an Emergency Coach. Credentialed coaches should not only retain all proof of course completions and certification for their own recordkeeping but should also provide copies to the Athletic Director at the school of hire.
Directions for taking the NFHS Online Courses:
Go to http://nfhslearn.com/
Register or Sign-In
Click “Courses” on the top toolbar and from the drop down list; choose “Fundamentals of Coaching” or “Sport-Specific Courses” and then choose your sport. If your sport is not listed, you can just pick one that is available.
Click on “Purchase Now”
Choose the option “I am purchasing a course for myself” and “Continue”
Choose “Maryland” from the drop down list and click “Save”
Continue “Checkout” and enter your credit card information. There will be a link on your receipt that you click to take the courses.
Congratulations! After successful completion of each course, you will be able to print out a Certificate of Completion. Please remember to submit a copy of your certificate to the Athletics Department to be kept on file.