Cecil County Public Schools offers a full-day kindergarten program in each of its 17 elementary schools. The program is for all children who will be five years of age on or before September 1 and are current residents of Cecil County. Maryland law requires all children to be enrolled in Kindergarten at the age of five.
Registration for the 2018-2019 school year will open April 3, 2018. We encourage ALL parents/guardians to register during the kindergarten registration period.
Registration for the 2018-19 school year will begin April 3, 2018.
Please bring with you:
- A copy of the child's birth certificate
- Proof of residency in Cecil County
You may pick up a registration packet at your local elementary school.
If you feel that your child is NOT ready for kindergarten, even though the child's fifth birthday falls on or before September 1, you may be permitted to delay kindergarten entry for one year by completing the Kindergarten Maturity Waiver Exemption Request This form must be submitted prior to the start of school year. If approved, your child will start Kindergarten the following year. Please contact Student Services at 410-996-5490 to begin the process.
Early Admission to Kindergarten
Exceptions to the age of entrance policy may be granted by the Cecil County Public School system when it is clearly evident that the four-year-old child, who will turn five by October 15, will be effectively served by a rigorous, standards-based curriculum in a kindergarten classroom setting.
WHAT YOU NEED TO DO …
A parent or guardian interested in the Early Admission to Kindergarten evaluation process must first submit a Prekindergarten Enrollment Application to the local elementary school that serves your home address area. By submitting an application for Prek you are in no way guaranteed acceptance into the Prekindergarten program. Prekindergarten is a criterion based four-year-old program designed for targeted populations. A Prekindergarten application must be on file before Early Admission to Kindergarten will be considered.
After the application has been submitted, the parent or guardian will contact the Early Childhood Department at 410/996-5424 and request the Early Admission to Kindergarten portfolio packet and request to be scheduled for an evaluation play date.
- Complete all components included in the Early Admission to Kindergarten portfolio packet and submit to the Early Childhood Department.
- Two letters of recommendation and completed developmental maturity scales must be completed by people, other than the parent/guardian, qualified to judge the child’s developmental capabilities (e.g., physician, dance instructor, coach, etc.).
- Notification of interest and completed portfolio packets must be returned to the Early Childhood Department no later than June 15.
- Families moving into the Cecil County area after June 15 will be required to provide proof of residency occurring after the date of June 15. Families new to Cecil County will have until August 4 to request Early Admission to Kindergarten evaluation.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT….
The office of the Early Childhood Department will contact the parent(s)/guardian(s) to schedule the required three-hour playgroup and assessment session.
The playgroup and evaluation session is conducted without the presence of parent(s)/guardian(s). A child may only be evaluated one time for early admission to Kindergarten.
IF YOU WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION, please contact the Early Childhood Department at 410-996-5424 or click here to view the Early Entry Procedure Document.