Elementary Math Vision
The Cecil County Elementary Mathematics curriculum strives to provide equitable access to ALL students to develop a foundational understanding of whole numbers, operations, geometry, measurement, fractions, and decimals. Our goals are to develop the student's ability to think and reason mathematically using the standards of mathematical practices and to develop mathematical proficiency for ALL students so they can apply mathematics to real-world situations. We do this by providing quality mathematical learning experiences that are aligned with rigorous standards.
Mathematical proficiency has five strands, which include:
- Conceptual Understanding- comprehension of mathematical concepts, operations, and relationships
- Procedural Fluency - skill in carrying out procedures flexibly, accurately, efficiently, and appropriately
- Strategic Competence- ability to formulate, represent, and solve mathematical problems
- Adaptive Reasoning - capacity for logical thought, reflection, explanation, and justification
- Productive Disposition- habitual inclination to see mathematics as sensible, useful, and worthwhile coupled with a belief in diligence and one's own efficacy. (Kilpatrick, Swafford, & Findell, 2001, p. 5)
Children develop their mathematical thinking at different paces. Cecil County Elementary Mathematical content is organized by grade level and introduces specific, critical content that provides a developmental building block for the next level. Please see the parent curriculum page for grade level links.
This site provides external links and videos as a convenience and for informative purposes only. The appearance of external hyperlinks on the CCPS webpage does not constitute an endorsement by CCPS of their products or the opinions contained therein.