YOUTH APPRENTICESHIP MARYLAND
Details and Requirements
CCPS Maryland Youth Apprenticeship Program brings Cecil County youth and employers together to create skilled labor in today’s ever-changing job market. Students are placed with approved employers who assign a qualified mentor that provides guidance and on-the-job training. The program provides a unique opportunity to “earn and learn.”
Benefits of Youth Apprenticeship
- Enter the workforce while still in high school.
- Earn a salary.
- Earn high school credit for completing the program - up to 4 credits.
- Youth apprenticeship is a CTE pathway and can lead to a completer.
- Gain marketable industry skills.
- Career Discovery - Students can confirm that a certain industry is a good fit, saving time and money in pursuing costly higher education or technical training after high school.
- Advancement Advantage - Youth apprentices have an advantage over other candidates as they develop valuable career skills and a professional network.
- Confidence - Students gain self-assurance by working independently under the tutelage of a mentor.
- By meeting all the State program standards, you'll receive a Maryland State Skill Certificate.
- Student applicants must be juniors or seniors, age 16 years or older, and have reliable transportation.
- A student must complete the program by graduation from high school.
- One year of related instruction is required. That will be either provided by the business or a class that you are taking for credits concurrently while in the apprenticeship.
- Applicants must be students in good standing and on track to graduate with good grades and attendance.
- Students must complete 450 hours of work-based training and one year of related classroom instruction by graduation.
- A student must submit a complete application packet to Apprenticeships@ccps.org.
- Download Student Agreement: HERE (PDF of Student Application)
- A resume and cover letter are required. See below for resume and cover letter templates.
- Submit your completed application, cover letter, and resume to Apprenticeships@ccps.org.
- Have at least one teacher fill out and email the recommendation form to Apprenticeships@ccps.org.